DTTPPM Portfolio


Elevating global logistics with enhanced tracking, seamless customs, and on-time deliveries for ultimate customer satisfaction


Product Experience

Problem Space 

Problem Statement  

We’re aiming to minimize DHL Express Customers’ frustration and uncertainty when tracking their shipments, so that they are more likely to receive their shipment on time which will cut costs, increase revenue, and positively impact business.

Problem Background  

DHL achieves a 96% on-time delivery rate for 1.67 billion parcels annually in Canada. However, the remaining 4% (66.7 million parcels) pose disruptions for customers in various aspects. The emphasis is on investigating the reasons behind these occurrences, even when customers provide accurate information. The goal is to enhance tracking visibility and proactively address issues, ensuring on-time deliveries for customers.

Research Insights

User Pain Points

  1. Visibility: Customers face frustration due to limited and high-level tracking information, causing uncertainty about their shipments. Internal employees have more detailed insights, but this disparity creates a disconnect.
  2. Customs: Issues during the customs stage, such as missing information, unclear shipment details, and lack of easy communication methods, lead to delays and potential rejections.
  3. Delivery: Missing or incorrect contact details, customs duties, and inflexible delivery options contribute to delivery challenges. Inconsistent alignment between the booking system and local delivery routes adds complexity.

Supporting Data

  1. Despite DHL's 96% on-time delivery rate for 1.67 billion parcels annually in Canada, the remaining 4% (66.7 million parcels) present challenges for customers and businesses.
  2. In the customs stage, issues like missing information, unclear shipment details, and lack of easy communication methods can lead to shipment rejections, delays, and additional costs.
  3. The last-mile delivery accounts for 53% of the total shipping cost, and failed first delivery attempts cost retailers an average of $18 USD per delayed delivery.


  1. Users desire detailed and real-time tracking information to reduce frustration and enhance on-time delivery.
  2. Customers seek earlier notifications for delivery options, aiming to avoid delays and make informed choices in advance.
  3. Business owners need reliable information for operational planning, ensuring resources are available for timely use of incoming shipments.

Landing on the Solution

  1. Easy use & Visibility: Introduce a user-friendly portal for DHL clients, providing detailed tracking information with timestamps for stagnant shipments, proactive notifications for critical missing data, and ability to upload missing data & speak to DHL staff
  2. Real-Time Data Platform: Create a centralized platform accessible via app or web, offering comprehensive, real-time information about shipments,customs and delivery through data from automated AI assessments in warehouses.

Explanation of Solution

  1. Enhanced User Interface: Empower DHL clients with a seamless portal experience, mirroring internal insights, and facilitating easy access to crucial shipment details, flight information, and local updates.
  2. Proactive Notifications: Implement a notification system for DHL Express users, offering earlier delivery options, aligning with driver routes, and ensuring accurate address and contact details, reducing unnecessary delays.
  3. Customs Transparency: Provide clear tracking indicators for customs stages, notify customers about potential delays, and allow them to update missing information, submit necessary documents, and manage broker details for a smoother customs process.

User Flows/Mockups

User Tracking Information:

  • Safe and efficient link-based access to detailed shipment data.
  • Access to detailed customer service/sales representative level insights, including location, timestamp, and status updates.
  • Country/city-specific information on local holidays, weather impacts, and updates from warehouses.

Earlier Delivery Options Notification:

  • Notification upon final destination flight scan for users to choose delivery preferences.
  • Aligned time range with driver routes and a countdown timer for "hold for pickup" option.
  • Confirmation of address and phone number accuracy to avoid delivery issues.

Customs Delay Resolution:

  • Notification of shipment entering, held by, or released by customs.
  • Detailed information on why a shipment is held by customs.
  • User ability to update missing information, submit documents, and manage broker details.

Future Steps

Future Steps: Design & Prototyping

Week 3: Finish Design

  1. Dev & Design Meeting: Set timelines and assess feasibility.
  2. Define Metrics: Choose portal metrics, plan data tracking.
  3. UI/UX Creation: Develop and test user interface.
  4. User Feedback: Collect and iterate on prototype assumptions.

Week 4: Development & Prototype

  1. Prototype Testing: Test with users for feedback.
  2. Core Feature Build: Start building core features.
  3. Agile Development: Use agile and sprint format.
  4. User Feedback Loop: Incorporate user feedback.
  5. Thorough Testing: Ensure comprehensive testing.

Weeks 5-6: Beta Testing

  1. Limited Release: Beta test with user group.
  2. Feedback Collection: Gather and address feedback.

Week 7: Launch

  1. Product Launch: Prepare and execute launch.
  2. Marketing: Promote through marketing channels.

Post-Launch and Beyond - Week 9 + Ongoing

  1. Regular Updates: Provide ongoing enhancements.
  2. User Feedback Addressing: Address user feedback continuously.
  3. Performance Monitoring: Monitor performance and usage.
  4. AI Integration: Explore AI for automated monitoring.
  5. DHL Collaboration: Partner for live internal data use.

Note: Emphasis on iterative cycles, continuous improvement, and user-centric development.



Product Manager Learnings:

Katharine Sliwinski

Overall Co.Lab Learning Experience:

  1. Learning to think about the problem space without solutioning was a huge shift for me 
  2. Struggling to collaborate with so many people in our teams and different groups was challenging. However

Survey insights/possible changes:

  1. For tracking-related questions, in-person interviews were more effective, as online responses often provided minimal information, with many "Yes" answers accompanied by "N/A" or mentioning the presence of a tracking number.
  2. Questions with an "overall" section yielded valuable detailed information.
  3. Simplifying Yes/No questions by eliminating the "other" option, focusing on "Yes," "No," "Neutral," or "Don't have an opinion/feeling," proved more effective.
  4. Data cleanup, though manageable with 40 responses, highlighted the importance of streamlining quantitative data collection.

Surprising Findings from the Survey Collection:

  1. Many respondents couldn't recall their DHL experience, prompting a shift in survey targeting to recent users.
  2. Positive experiences were common, contrasting with the negativity often encountered while resolving client issues.
  3. Aiming to focus on customers with negative experiences for insights on specific process stages.
  4. Unexpectedly, cost emerged as a key concern, challenging assumptions about tracking and customer service as primary issues.

Designer Learnings:

Developer Learnings:

Developers Learnings:


Full Team Learning